Thursday, February 7, 2013

Weekly Pull List


It's Thursday, the day after Wednesday, and if you haven't noticed. I'm now available. I've read most of the comics on my pull-list for this week, and I have to say I enjoyed this week immensely. I added a new book this week, Green Arrow; starting at issue 17 may seem strange, but I heard from a post on Reddit(here is the post) that there would be an overhaul in the creative department. Boy howdy has there ever been. Jeff Lemire, who I've been enjoying in his monthly Animal Man book from the New 52 has taken over the writing. I like his writing a lot in Animal Man, and I'm starting to like his writing a lot in Green Arrow. Yes after only one issue. The art is pretty good as well, thanks in part to Andrea Sorrentino. I'm not very familiar with his work, but he seems to be handling himself very well with the colors/moods and panels of the book to reflect Lemire's story.

Case in point

I'm honestly hoping for great things from this book, and it has inspired me to go back and re-read Year One and Wonder Year, which I assume Lemire is going to reference quite a bit from what I've read dealing with a conspiracy on the "Island". This book is a good jumping on point for fans of Green Arrow who weren't satisfied with the previous New 52 Incarnation, and is also a good launching point for new readers of the hero with the pointy blonde beardgreen Robin Hood hat, sprayed on bandit mask, or at least that's what he does on Arrow right? I still need to watch that show.

His arm looks like a ham steak
Speaking of Jeff Lemire, and Animal Man. The Rot World saga has come to a close and Now Swampy and Butter Baker have to go and make sure it doesn't happen. I really don't have much to say about this issue, but I do have to say one thing. FrankenLantern is AMAZING. Seriously, Franky goes to Hollywood and still looks better than Ryan Reynold's outfit. Actually he didn't go to Hollywood, but I felt it necessary as to set up my joke about how the Green Lantern costume in the movie was awful. It only gets better in Swamp Thing when he uses the green juice to give himself a chainsaw hand ala Ash from Evil Dead. I'm sad that I'll probably never see this character again. Thank you Lemire, and Scott Snyder for creating this wonderful thing.

Lastly, out of my top faves from this week. New Avengers 3, and HOLY POOP do I love Jonathan Hickman. I have to say hands down he is probably my favorite current writer. I love what he did with Fantastic Four. I love how he made Reed Richards the Maker in the Ultimates. I enjoy how he created an alternate history revolving around the Manhattan Projects. Now I love him for his crafting of a great epic with the Illuminati in New Avengers. I'm a big fan of his Avengers book, but New Avengers is just insanely well written. What he did with the Infinity Gems this issue blew me away, but he left a backdoor in case he or someone else wanted to bring them back. 
And on the last page of the issue, I saw an old Tony Stark from the days of Civil War make an appearance. The introduction of Beast as a member of this group felt natural, even if it was just because Xavier wanted him on the team to take his place. The pressure of what they need to get done is mounting with each scene. This book is simply one of the best Marvel is putting out currently.

In honor of this being my first post about comics, I figured I'd draw you a little doodle of Ash and FrankenLantern teaming up.

I'm great with boats, but not shootguns
Suggested Listening: Beach Boys - Heroes and Villains, because I just read the Taskmaster miniseries and I liked the song. I'll probably be writing a post about this said mini on Sunday in Sunday Funday Trades(title pending).


No comments:

Post a Comment