Friday, March 22, 2013

Comics From The Last Few Weeks

Just wanna clear up that there are some spoilers for Walking Dead in here, well honestly there are spoilers for a lot of comics. But mostly Walking Dead, since it's a major TV show now, a lot of people don't want to know where the show will possibly go, so read at your own risk. You can skip to the second break after this one to get to some X-men and Manhattan Projects talk.

NAILED IT! (Jesus jokes are kind of wrong)
So I haven't written much lately, and you can yell at me if you want to. I've been re-playing through Dragon Age: Origins so that I can start up playing Awakening and eventually DA2. I've been reading comics randomly and I'm a week behind. Actually I still haven't read Green Arrow or Animal Man from 2 weeks ago. I Just finished reading Walking Dead 108 and I liked it, the book has been sagging a bit as of late. So, it was nice to read about a new kingdom. I just wish it wasn't actually called "The Kingdom". It's a bit silly. I did like that Kirkman finally touched on something that has been missing in this post-apocalyptic zombie world. Nerds. Ezekiel honestly is the first person I've seen that I would consider a true nerd. Yeah you can say that guy with the walkie-talkie is kind of nerdy, but I disagree. I think that dude is just smart and kind of weird... Okay so Ezekiel is maybe more like a geek. So Ezekiel is the first geek in this post-apocalyptic zombie world. That's cook I like geeks, I'm a geek. Geeks like comic books, or well we obsess over them. I mean I am writing a blog about comics. I believe that qualifies me for geekdom.
So Ezekiel is pretty awesome, he's got a damn tiger. The tiger is named Shiva and doesn't dig violence, neither does Ezekiel. But yet Ezekiel wants to launch a major assault on the ping-pong champion Negan. Honestly that bit didn't make much sense to me, but I can see him making a stand to stop the violence with violence. Another odd thing about this issue, Carl just realized he can't see out of his right eye. Oh look a blindspot. I mean really, it took you almost 20 something issues to realize that? Also, why is Michonne starting to act like a bitch? I like her characterization a lot in the book, and she's pretty awesome in the show as well. She's cold and distant I get that, but she's always been the quiet person with the katana(which isn't in Google's dictionary apparently). She has just really fallen off the wagon lately and she does remark on this in this issue. Noticing that she has a bad time pretending to be a socialite individual amonst numerous individuals makes sense for her character, but honestly I could do without the whining from her. She's supposed to be a badass who keeps her feels to herself, but everyone can read them on her face. Not some dour lady who's in the kitchen and wants someone to break the cuffs to her oven free for her. She does that with her katana. Well, the character isn't mine and I can't tell Robert Kirkman what to do with her, but I can take my toys and go home.

In other comics; Uncanny X-men is off to a pretty good start. I never understood why The Bros of Mutant Evil(And Mystique) never got their own comic. I mean it really does make sense to have book that portrays the opposing side of the heroes. It doesn't have to shine a light on the bad guys as being good in there own way, but at least make them seem a bit more human than just some guys who disagree with the good guys. Yeah, I know the word on if Cyclops is a baddie is still not out. I just think this is the obvious progression that Marvel is going with the character. I actually like Cyclops I think he's a good person at his core, but a lot of people have crapped on him over the years. Dude lost his wife, then his girlfriend, well that's still up in the air. Now Captain America wants his head on a silver platter. Dude is priming up to explode like a bag of TNT outside the start of a new mine in the olden times. Besides that obvious tendencies Marvel is going with his character and that cadre, Magik has been the shining spot in the book for laughs. She actually catches me off guard with her facetious humor. Oh, and look Magneto is a double agent. He's probably a triple agent, that wouldn't be surprising.

Best part of the book; the covers
X-men Legacy is just as good as it always has been, I'm really digging Legion being the main character. And now the relationship with Blindfold, who I've kind of had a soft spot since she was created. I just want to read more about these two and maybe even Chamber. I could deal with just these three guys doing stuff, kinda like X-factor Investigations did when they first started out. Sadly on another note, I'm starting to lose interest in Manhattan Projects. I will take the wait and see approach, but the last issue(10) was kind of overdrawn. I mean the whole Oppenheimer thing seems to be a bit too convoluted and over-the-top. I still enjoy reading "Hmmm..." in varying ways though. I really just want more of that talking Russian space dog. Also, check out the newest Batman and Robin(18) It's pretty amazing and will make you cry a bit if you loved Damien as much as I did. It's a silent issue, as in it doesn't have any dialogue, but the panel work and art direction pretty much sum up everything that would be necessary to say.

More will be coming this weekend or maybe Monday, it depends on how lazy I am. I'm very lazy.

Suggested Listening: Anything by Nero, it's actually decent Dubstep. Not like the Skrillex guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment